My Desire is to Magnify the Resurrected Life of Jesus Christ

... and on His robe and on His thigh He has a title inscribed, King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Rev. 19:16

It is my purpose to encourage, to challenge, to stir hearts, and to speak the Truth that is revolutionizing my life as I am getting to know my Lord as Master.

Sunday, November 1, 2009

O Death Where Is Your Sting?

...everything else is worthless when compared with the priceless gain of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.

Attended the memorial service of a friend's husband today. He was only 53. I've been following her journal of the series of treatments he was receiving over the past 4 years for the cancer that first started on his tongue. Eventually he lost his tongue and part of his throat. The doctors never could determine why this type of cancer started with him as he was never a smoker.

Anyway, the memorial service was truly a beautiful tribute to a man who served God faithfully. Still, it saddens me he was taken out so early by such a horrific disease.

Since he passed away this week, it has caused me to be to slip into that deeply reflective mode I find myself in when these kinds of things happen. So many thoughts of what is really important in life and reminders of how very short our time here on earth really is.

Bob was a man of integrity and a lover of God. He will be missed by his family and so many wonderful friends... until we see him again on the other side ... forever in heaven.

But when this perishable will have put on the imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then will come about the saying that is written, "DEATH IS SWALLOWED UP in victory.
"O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR VICTORY? O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR STING?" ...but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

I Corinthians 15: 54-57

2 comments:

gigi said...

i am sorry for the loss of your friend's husband. the circumstances are so sad, and it does not seem fair that he had to suffer and pass away too soon. but the consoling truth of your post is that he gave his all as a witness to the glory of God. surely this will be the memory that remains of his brief time here on earth. i pray that could be my testimony and epitaph.

CoachK said...

I'm sorry for your friend Cindy. I really can't even imagine how hard it has been for her. These times are so hard to understand and there are just no words sometimes to express your sadness.
It is always a time to reflect on our own lives. As has been stated, what a wonderful testimony of a life well lived.