My Desire is to Magnify the Resurrected Life of Jesus Christ

... and on His robe and on His thigh He has a title inscribed, King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Rev. 19:16

It is my purpose to encourage, to challenge, to stir hearts, and to speak the Truth that is revolutionizing my life as I am getting to know my Lord as Master.

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Not My Favorite Day

...everything else is worthless when compared with the priceless gain of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.


Halloween has always been my least favorite celebration. Actually we never have acknowledged it in our home. Not since we made Jesus our Lord at least.

My views and principles about participating in a holiday that promotes mostly wickedness and evil changed and just didn't sit right in my heart. And it still doesn't. It doesn't really matter to me how it's packaged in fun and games. At the center of it fear and evil is promoted and I keep close guard on that in every other way. Why would I open myself to it on this one supposedly innocent holiday?

In modern times there seems to be a new obsession with any other worldly which only exacerbates the evil side of the day. I realize this is not the most popular view even among Christians these days. That's okay. I've never won any of those popularity contest anyway. And I don't condemn you if you decide to celebrate it. I wish I understood why but I don't condemn.

To minimize the acknowledgement of the day, rather than join in, we either went to church festivals or once our kiddos were older we took them out to eat so we could stick together and concentrate on family.

The evil characters have gotten much worse since my kiddos were growing up. The billboards, the advertisements on TV, the overly exaggerated gory displays in the local stores are really very annoying an often offensive.

Adults seem to have hijacked the day, too. As if they wait for Halloween to have their own ridiculous bashes and lewd parades. I say to them if they like to dress up in costumes they don't need an excuse like Halloween that taints the day even further. Have a masquerade party any other time of year. It's really okay to have your own party without using your kids as an excuse.

I LOVE this time of year and all the 'good' changes it DOES celebrate like the weather (still waiting on that one here in Florida), the colors represented with this season, sweaters and scarves, visions of harvest and Thanksgiving is right around the corner.

Getting past Halloween and all the reminders of it everywhere is something I look forward to.

2 comments:

gigi said...

i know what you're saying. in fact, i'm sitting in my darkened house writing this so the trick or treaters will pass on by! it is so easy to get lured in by the idea of just passing out some candy to little kiddies. i shudder to think that i was caught up in it for years, allowing my own small fry to dress up and go door to door. i would even greet the kids knocking on my door in my own witch outfit, screaming like the wicked witch of the west and scaring the daylights out of them. it was all supposed to be in fun! i really regret it now!

but it certainly seems to have gone much more bizarre as you pointed out. and i'm like you in saying i could do without any of it ... so i do not participate at all.

Cindy Gee said...

Geeg,
I remember that cackling witch... all the neighborhood kids loved it. Times were simpler then and in your ignorance God was merciful.
:-)